Friday, January 30, 2009

Neuroses for sale

I just had a really odd experience with an esthetician. Since the place I like and normally go to is on the high end of prices around here, I thought I would save myself the $20 and go to the nearby, bigger spot that all the students frequent. Bad move.

We were talking about personal grooming habits. I have been carefully grooming my eyebrows for the last six months (don't laugh!) in order to retain a more natural, full look. My husband likes to remind me that I had pencil-thin & over-tweezed eyebrows when he met me. Not. hot.



And out comes this statement, while she is severely over-waxing my brows: "I think any hair is disgusting. But then again, look what I do for a living..." .

And my eyebrows weren't the only things she attacked with zeal.

I was at a loss - "stop! stop it!" I should have yelled. "Hair is totally normal and natural. Just because you think it is disgusting does not mean you can push your views on me!"

But wielding that strip of muslin cloth meant she was in the position of power.

She was cold, ruthless, calculating and sorta bitchy when I winced.

... I will definitely be spending the $20 bucks next time. Yeesh.

No comments: