Wednesday, October 29, 2008

iT's CoMInG!!!

I recently read somewhere (Wil Weaton’s blog?) that Halloween was like “Geek Christmas”. Because what other time of the year are costume-obsessed cosplay geeks allowed to revel in their awesome costume-making skills? Or the outcasts and goths find themselves reflected in every seasonal aisle in town? Even the drunks and the skanks have reason to celebrate, as the older I get the more I realize handing out candy is just to distract the kids while you drink your face off in the sluttiest costume you could scrounge up.

So I like it a alot. And this year my husband wanted to go as Adam Prince of Eternia (alter ego: He-Man) from the beloved 80s North American animated show He-Man (part of a larger, corporate-endorsed/cross-over-friendly line of toys/games/movies featuring the “Masters of the Universe “).

At first I was going to make a companion costume as She-ra, the most recognizable female characters from Masters of the Universe.


But her costume was more difficult and, for continuity’s sake (geek alert): She-Ra was Adam’s sister. His twin sister. So….eww. A few weeks ago I changed my mind, and opted to create a far less demanding costume of Teela, the love interest in the show. She’s a rocking warrior and whatnot, so I’ve been spending ridiculous amounts of time making a costume from scratch.

Really, I’ve just got the components of the vest created: the body piece + a collar + swirly boob thingies. Tonight I need to put it all together, and make a little felt companion “Orko”. Last night I got my sword (which needs to be repainted) and FINALLY found a body suit that was under $70 (can’t see in the picture, but she wears the crazy gold vest over a white body suit. It turned out to be the most difficult thing to find around town, I’m sure I checked six or eight places…dancewear places/lingerie shops/ American Apparel/Zellers.). I revisted a large department store and found new stock in just what I need for an affordable price. It needs some modification, but not too bad.

On top of all this, I’m seriously considering making a second costume, just to mix it up a bit at the various events I want to attend this weekend. A departmental thing tomorrow night, a Life Science student party downtown at a club on Friday, and finally a house party on Saturday night. My second costume? A beer wench: made with an existing shirt I own, and the ginormous underskirt from my wedding gown, overlayed with a tie-up vest and petticoat I have yet to make. But I found the perfect grey fabric! And it’s only $2 a yard! So it would be cheap to make…and then I got to thinking that the dark grey would be somber and would fit PERFECTLY for a “beer wench from hell”…literally. Accessorize with gothic spider rings and fishnets, paint my face a pale white with open wounds on my exposed shoulders and maybe a bloody wound along my neck. Black plaited wig, and a few beer mugs and voila! “the most popular wench at Lucifer’s Lair”!

Again: I love it. Love it love it love it.

No comments: