Thursday, October 23, 2008

HPE Lowdown

Picture of the tambourine guy, stolen from www.thecoast.ca HPE blog:

We arrived for "Golden Hands Before God...", having missed "The Love Machine". They struck me as a mix of The Divorcees hard country rock and a 70s hairband. Not my style, but they were rocking it hard - all five or six of them had long beard and most had long shaggy hair. The tambourine player in particular was posing and jumping around like a true rockstar, always centre stage and always straight faced. I got a kick out of him.

Next up was "Rebekah Higgs", a local gal who I've never heard play live before. She was wearing this astoundingly constructed purple dress that made her butt look great...a suspect she may have made it (she confessed to a "love of crafts" before her set started). Anyway, she was adorable but her voice was consistently high-pitched and child-like, which sort of got on my nerves. Great stage presence though.

Then "Amos the Transparent", whom we had come to see. They were alot more hard-rock than I was expecting, based on their music available online. But the lead singer's voice is great; he hits and holds notes clearly, great tone. They kept my favorite song for last, and it was awesome. They seemed excited to be on the East Coast, and swore in delight at the people by the stage singing along to their songs.

The headlining act were "The Inbreds", indie old-timers and by the way the crowd thickened, a local favorite. Unfortunately, we were both pretty much asleep at this point and we only stayed for a few songs.

Next on the list: Basia Balut playing surprisingly early at the Molson Room, so that means two things: 1. I might just go alone since the companion who offered may be busy, and I don't have to walk in the sketchy area of town in the middle of the night by myself 2. I can catch Woodhands later in the night, and get my groove on. By myself.

Off-topic: So I'm always surprised by how many good looking guys go to the Marquee as opposed to every other establishment in the city, which is usually dominated by the fairer sex. By far, this is the place to be to pick up if you are a girl. Of course I look. And twice now (last month at the pre-pop show, and then again last night), I've eyed the cutest boy in the room (in my opinion) and twice now they've ended up on the stage later in the evening as part of a band. Apparently, if I wasn't attached, I would make an excellent groupie. Shameful.

No comments: