Friday, October 17, 2008

Buck up

None of my experiments really worked today, although I still have one to finish so maybe the week will end in a bang (doubt it). The crappy car we drive had to be "inspected" today - a joke since we both knew dropping it off that the thing is going to fail. I imagine we'll end up paying $750 dollars in repairs this time around which is a total kick in the nerdy pants when I have much better ideas on what I could spend that money on.

And on the agenda this weekend is a massive, soul-cleansing, exterminate-every-dust-bunny cleaning marathon. Wood needs to be split and stacked, every fixture that our water comes into contact with needs to be scrubbed hard (the water purification system we paid 3 grand for is doing a shit-tastic job so our water cycles through the disgusting colour rainbow of grey, red, or yellow. We have someone coming next week to give us yet another opinion) and those chairs still haven't been entirely recovered.

My poor neighbour - she is giving me free plants for the garden (more hostas than I know what to do with) and she set out some stuff for me to plant weekend before last. I didn't get around to it, and of course that meant they stayed in the wheelbarrow for the whole week. Apparently she commented about it to the husband (who she hilariously calls Andrew even though we have corrected her multiple times) but we were never home during daylight hours the entire week. Friday we left for Hometown for Thanksgiving weekend and I felt so guilty upon returning after the long weekend that I took one look at the wheelbarrow and decided to plant those motherfuckers right then.

It was 11 pm on a Monday night.

I didn't even bother to get changed, I just threw on my sneakers with the skirt and tights I was wearing (oh, and my houndstooth jacket) and got to digging. I was mixing peat and manure by the light of the front porch, and if my neighbours didn't think I was crazy before, suspiciously digging in the yard at midnight in near formal attire will have convinced them otherwise.

No comments: