Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Halifax Pop Explosion! + trees

Great bands lined up this year. The perpetual dilemma is always finding enough cash to attend them all : tomorrow night is Amos the Transparent with Rebekah Higgs and Basia Balut on Saturday are both must-go's. My husband is away this weekend so I'll be all by myself and will need to recruit someone to attend the Saturday show with.

And in response to my failed experiments lately, I turned to my supervisor for some advice. He came swooping down to my desk this morning about 25 minutes before I was planning on leaving for my tattoo appointment, and we went through my work to date, double checking all my sequencing primers, their orientation, etc. Anyway, it made me sort of nervous. I was sweating harder sitting at my desk than I did later in the tattoo parlour. Thankfully, he found all my work so far to be satisfactory, and it was possible my sequencing efforts were failing due to nothing I could control or know about in advance (my insight into the genome has since improved, so I'll rerun some of the tests tonight to see whether I can get a different outcome). I semi-jokingly asked him whether I "passed the test", and he said that I had indeed passed the test. So I ran outta here as fast as I could to keep him from changing his mind.

And here are some pictures of our tiny pathetic shrubs and landscaping in front of the house. They'll look good in ten years, probably :)





(I just pulled my PCR reagents from the fridge while those pics were uploading. There is a whole fridge, and we are all crammed into one corner of one side of one shelf. Sigh.)

No comments: