Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Why three chromosomes?

What does it say about my personality that, while being a smart young woman who tries to keep up with the latest in world news and has other, important things to think about (WHY THREE??!!??), I still spend about 5% of my waking hours pondering what I’m going to wear now/tomorrow/in the near future. Example: Tonight I’m going to the movie theatre to watch the film adaptation of Love in the Time of Cholera with a girlfriend of mine. We both read the book, and we both like to dress up. While doing my DNA extractions today, I’ve mentally changed outfits several times already. There’s a fine line between cute and cold when going to the theatre - the AC is inevitably cranked so high that you can nearly see you breath. Flat brown boots? High heel brown boots?

A second topic for pondering while molecular biology-ing: How the frack did I become the personal clean-up attendant for the lab down the hall? We don’t have a centrifuge to do DNA extractions, but the lab down the hall does. We use it for eukaryotes, they use it for E.coli. It currently smells like death because nobody cleans it. Nobody but me. And I only clean it because the smell of rotting E.coli sludge at the bottom of the centrifuge wants to make me hurl. I cannot be the only one. And yet.

No comments: