Monday, February 9, 2009

knock knock

I stayed home this morning during an Energy efficiency test I asked to have done last week.  For $150, the inspector will come to complete the ~1 hour test (most notably by completing a blower-door vacuum test).  I will get the result in a week (energy efficiency on a scale of 1-100).  Because our total income is measly according to income tax returns (my stipend is not included therefore I make <2500/year), we will get the entire $150 refunded. If we rate 77 or higher, there is a potential rebate for CMHC that would total $450, but other than that, we don't qualify for the multitude of other provincial rebates because we didn't follow the proscribed (yet asinine) method of rebate procedure in our province. In order to qualify after the building is complete, you must pay $250 to get your plans verified before you started building. We were informed consumers and already knew what we could afford/what would make the biggest difference in terms of insulation and environmental upgrades (and didn't want to shell out $250 for someone else to tell us that) so we don't qualify.  We must retain the expensive services of a third party to get a rebate for upgrades like LowE windows, high efficiency fireplace and extra insulation. There is no going it alone. So now the only rebates we could get (other than the CMHC rebate, and that is dependent on score) is a big fat pat on the back.

Anyway, there was also a second inspection going on today: that of our buyer's.  At noon, a separate home inspector guy come out to climb on the roof and poke at our walls.  I was home, but I stayed out of the way in the master bedroom with my laptop, my cat, my lunch and my headphones.  I was instructed by my realtor (who is also representing the buyer) to not engage the buyer at all.   Apparently he is prone to weelin' and dealin' and she didn't want our (still tentative) agreement to unravel.  Fair enough.  

All in all, the inspection went well.  There were only a few things which were mentioned: apparently there is problematic condensation occurring around our North-wall installed breaker box.  My electrician did a shitty job of insulating it, so there is condensation accumulation.  It is an easy fix, it just requires some weather-proofing with caulking.  I am very glad the inspection was done and that this minor problem (which could have eventually lead to a much bigger problem) was found right away.  I will tuck that into my inventory of "things learned on the first build".

So I guess in the next few days we will be receiving an amendment from the buyer with clauses to address anything mentioned by the building inspector.  If we refuse to comply the deal could collapse but given that there were no major surprises, we expect to be able to fulfill any clauses they mention.  

No comments: