Friday, February 20, 2009

"...gone tomorrow"

As part of my Procrastination Plan™, I've taken to cruising the www.mls.ca listings in Hometown. And I had my heart set on this fixer-upper just next to amenities selling for a great price (around 86,000). It was in an area of homes selling between 119-165 K, so with a little investment and a bunch of sweat equity I was convinced this would be a great investment. I emailed everyone who would listen about this little gem but never actually made moves to view the house in person nor inquire from the realtor any more specifics. I assumed the house would still be there in two months. And every week I would check mls, and every week the house was still there. But today, today, I actually go to the realtor's website and see that this diamond in the rough has sold already. Whoops. Guess I shouldn't have sat on my ass on that one.

I'm more heartbroken about it then I would have thought given my total lack of action. I guess it wasn't meant to be, and it was only a few days ago that hubby and I were discussing the prudence of jumping back into the realty market right away. On one hand, it is a Buyer's market and the cost of building materials is much less than when we built this first house. On the other hand, if the economy continues to tank and we cannot find work, it would be a nice financial net to have the money sitting in an account (or under the mattress). But as this situation proves, houses are still moving in my Hometown, and will likely continue in the foreseeable future, with a likely spike in prices once the economy recovers fully (if it recovers at all). So if we were going to buy at all, this was the best choice for us. But now it's gone, and I can't really find anything comparable in the city so we can either wait it out and focus entirely on the tiny house in the meantime, or forget the reno and invest in other things (like a large chunk of raw land, or even the stock market...maybe).

Right. Back to writing now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we need to talk before you get into the stock or bond market.