Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Ma Domain

Today is my first day in the new lab, in my new position (technical title: lab bench monkey/logistical queen). It appears this room is used mostly as a glorified closet, as I'm by myself (once this morning, an undergrad swept in, took an aliquot of some liqiud, nodded courteously, and then swept out) and the place is littered with bugs bits. I swept about a gajillion bug carcasses from the floor/window sills this morning. That is about a gajillion more than should be in an area used for RNA prep. A live one actually flew down my shirt! That was fun. Anyway, since my bosses are technically on vacation until Thursday, I'm amusing myself by scrubbing the floors/desks/windows/lab benches and reading up on the protocol I know nothing about but that I'm responsible for ordering reagents for.

The second look at the Hovel House didn't go so well this morning. Our agent, who had never seen the place, was appalled at the condition and fairly convinced we could never sell it for much. Apparently its in a flood plain, and could be the reason the "musty basement" smell is so, ummm...predominant. She said we could certainly rent it out after fixing it up (which could potentially involving hiking it up three more feet), but not really sell it for much. So now we must decide whether we are in for the long term or not. It makes me sad that the place was so uncared for, for so damn long, it is practically a tear-down now. She firmly declared it wasn't worth half of the asking price though, which was encouraging. We'll see.

AND the local festival line-up is up.
It's nearly as good as it gets around here. Ohbijou!!

No comments: