Tuesday, February 14, 2012

art substitute

The art gallery on campus has a fundraiser every year on Feb.14th, where donated pieces of art are auctioned off while everyone dresses in their pink/red/purple best. Families are welcome to attend, there is a cash bar, and lovely MCs. There is also a cake walk, which is basically musical chairs but using numbered hearts around the perimeter of the room. You buy into the conga line, which snakes around the room while music plays. When it stops, a number is pulled from a basket and if you are standing on the number - you win! Meander over to a giant table full of cakes, and claim your prize.

I can't do art, but I can bake. My mother gave me the BEST chocolate cake recipe a few weeks ago (she made it for my birthday - yum!) and I used it to create this steampunk monstrosity:








It took forever because I didn't know what I was doing. Everything save for the hot ballon mesh and the various structural toothpicks is edible. It might even taste good (although miles from being healthy) since I used a marshmallow fondant recipe.

Bringing geekiness to the artists since 1984.

No comments: