Saturday, November 1, 2008

Wrong Holiday my Little Friend

Hmm..my cat and I were sitting at the computer this morning, alone in the house. I heard a funny scratching sound coming from downstairs. Was someone trying to break into our house? My cat, noticing the sound as well, jumped from my lap to investigate. As I slowly descended the stairs, I realized the sound was coming from the fireplace. It sounded like logs were falling down over themselves while burning low...but there was no fire going. So I opened the door and stared into the black eyes of a trapped bird. Shocked, I failed to close the door in time, as the bird flew out toward the patio door. My cat's instinct kicked in, and he went chasing after the bird, but backed off when I yelled at him at the top of my lungs. Luckily the bird flew toward the patio and not up the stairs, but the poor thing got caught up in the sheers. He was fluttering about, repeatedly smacking into the window, and wouldn't come away from the corner. I was able to open the patio door and screen, and then gently coax the startled Starling out with creative use of the curtains. As far as I could tell, his flying was unaffected and he seemed quite well. My cat, on the other hand, was still shaking with excitement ten minutes later.

I wonder how often I'll have to fish birds out of our fireplace? That's not in the manual.

No comments: