Thursday, November 6, 2008

Revel in the Mediocrity


Gave a talk today. Pretty unprepared. No one seemed to care, and some people patted me on the back. (But some people do that regardless, which actually pisses me off. Praise should be earned, and I don't give it away free. Maybe cheap, but never for free.)

It's interesting stuff, but my graphic-heavy slides (which usually works really well for me because I have a good memory when jogged by visual clues) failed me briskly this morning. I couldn't remember any of the neat stuff and could only remember the redundant, boring stuff. AKA my brains on no sleep and cold medication.

And two boys were snickering and whispering in the back, which threw me off my groove. It used to be the older men sleeping in the front aisle that bothered me (not so much anymore - I have since noticed it is not personal) but apparently the younger men laughing at me/my incorrect knowledge/my shitty pronounciation/etc. gets under my skin. Especially when I know I'm not very prepared. Oy vey.

No comments: