Thursday, March 4, 2010

Hot hot heat

Despite drama at work, "grant writing" hell (not my own, thankfully) and a to-do list longer than my left leg, I'm still chugging along with house things. Last weekend, we went woodstove shopping. Prior to stepping into any store, we discussed budget, we both agreed around $3000 would be reasonable. That was excluding any government energy-rebate benefits (around $900) we would qualify for before March 31st. Difference that we found out later was that I meant installed, and hubby meant just for the stove. No matter, once I saw the selection, I was pretty determined to get something like this (which would never happen on my previous budget so TOO BAD FOR ME):

Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 (~$2400):



or Jotul F500 "Oslo" (~$2900):


Lovely stoves, well made, well reviewed, would fit right into the decor of our old home, both medium sized stoves. We are hoping their size will yield the luxury of overnight burns. A cast iron sleeve (on the Pacific Energy) or cast iron box (for the Jotul) means a "softer heat" compared to stainless steel, that is absorbed and dispersed more slowly. I hope this translates into a comfortable warmth in our living room, instead of a "blast" of heat in one corner that can't be approached without passing out.

Our house has these wicked tall gothic dormers that were a bitch to re-shingle but also means that for code purposes, our flue has to extend a god-awful length. Way up high. Like, 28 feet from the stove. At one hundred dollars a linear foot installed, well.....I was stupid to think my $3000 budget was going to go very far with anything but a $300 HomeHardware leaky bucket. A local dealer has the T5 floor-model on clearance (end of season sale) so at least there is that. Exciting!


No comments: