Tuesday, September 8, 2009

weekend warrior and waning enthusiasms

The long weekend got off to a great start: we hosted a BBQ for colleagues, family and friends. I was nervous about the odd mismatch of guests. But the mosquitoes targeted everyone equally and thus all was well. The bonfire stayed lit until 2 am, when we stumbled to our tent (set up in the front yard). I had lovely dreams starring a dashing Don Draper - must have been the wine. But as the last of the summer sun beat down on us this weekend, it got more and more difficult to cross off the list of things we wanted to do: strip the vinyl cladding around the foundation of the house, remove the remnant linoleum in the upstairs bedrooms and remove shingles. We realized it was so lovely there that all we wanted to do was "hang out". So that's what we did: as of now, I have neither the available funds or burning desire to work ourselves as hard as we did last time around. Take it easy, we have forever. I'll be bitching and complaining come February and we still don't have appliances, but for right now sleeping on the bare floor in sleeping bags and hunting mushrooms in the forest is way more fun.

Aside: classes have started. I've given directions to 7 students in the last two days (keeping score on the blackboard in my lab). Last night, I dreamt of returning to class, arriving at the right classroom at the wrong time. The teacher singled me out, pointed out I was daft for arriving ten minutes early and asked me if I could tell time. Instead of being embarrassed, I was pissed, and didn't go anywhere. Wonder what that means.

PS: A nosy neighbour called the cops regarding an "empty vehicle left at a vacant lot". Too bad it was our extra car in our driveway. I called the selling agent to not-so-politely inform her the two-week old realty sign left out at the end of the road (sans SOLD! sign) was leading to confusion among our neighbours. It was gone later that day.

No comments: