Thursday, February 25, 2010

Spring Awakening

I know the flowers and gardens have been in bloom in Vancouver for a month, but out on this coast we usually get snow storms until the end of March. Fortunately, the frozen winter is slowly giving way...the last week has seen temperatures regularly jump up into the positive digits. Due to routine maintenance in my building on Wednesday we were without water, so I didn't go to work. Still rose really early (7 am), had breakfast with a friend (8-9 am), drove my husband to work and then took to the dog to Hometown to run errands, see another friend and have lunch with my mom. Mid-day, it was about 6 or 7 degrees Celsius, and on my way back to the village at about 3 pm, the gloriously warm sun was glistening off the puddles made by the melting snow. It was brilliant, and lifted my mood incredibly.

I stopped off at the fabric store to try my hand at creating clothing inspired by this etsy seller. I ended up with 3.5 metres of a mustard coloured knit (I found in the bargain bin) and matching thread for about $10, but the process of choosing the fabric was amazing. Everything in the store was extraordinarily beautiful, amplified by my good mood no doubt. I marveled at the whimsical patterns and the lovely textures. I oohhed and aahhed over the patches and the buttons and the zippers. I chatted with the man who was probably in a work-placement position reorganizing the bargain bin and then recognized the cashier as a childhood friends mother.

The sunlight has recharged my good mood battery. The last few days were rough at work, and I was so happy to have a mid-week day off. I'll post a picture of the shirt when I finish!

No comments: