Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Metrics

Driving back in the snow-storm the other night, husband and I were discussing the qualities necessary for pop songs to have staying power. This was in response to a Red Hot Chilli Peppers piping over the radio waves. Although we both agreed it was thoroughly overplayed in its heyday, it completely hit the spot (musically) on Sunday evening. I think one of the reasons is the subtle, dark imagery of the lyrics, which sit just under a sugary coating of a pop rhythm chorus. Coal hearts have staying power.



On an unrelated note, I made green lentil-chicken-curry with a peanut sauce (without a recipe) last night and it was FANTASTIC! The problem is that, as my cooking skills improve and I explore locally sourced or organic food blah blah blah, hubby is not cooking. While this is fine now, I may become bitter if/when we have babies, because I don't want to be doing it all. And I don't want to be eating fried steak with chopped potatoes slathered in butter every night. So we decided last night to even out the cooking duties now in order to thwart any bitterness later. We all know coal hearts have staying power.

No comments: