Monday, December 19, 2011

such conspicuous self improvement

December usually prompts me to do the rounds for eyes/teeth/body check-ups that I've otherwise been ignoring all year long. I suppose this is lay-over behaviour from when I had a student insurance plan that allotted a certain number of dollars for each calendar year.

New eye exam, new set of contact lenses, teeth whitening regime and regular flossing. The gym is more-or-less a regular occurrence. Indeed the shower-only-at-the-gym trick is working, although I am feeling more grubby than I normally do in general because of it. Although my clothing is no looser fitting than normal, they aren't tighter than normal either...admittedly a feat during the holiday party season. The students are all gone, so I can go anytime of day to the campus fitness centre without sharing.

I contacted a local instructor for Aikido martial arts, since I might be getting even klutzier with age, and feel an eight week program might improve my body awareness. This past Saturday was a dress-and-dance party at a friends place, and at the end of evening I was speaking with someone so animatedly I hit his tumbler of red wine out of his hands (my husband explaining the next day "you're so French"). It went careening across the room, crashed to the floor and splattered red wine in a TEN FOOT radius in all directions. Floor, ceiling, next room over...the host kept saying over and over "I've never seen a spilled drink cover so much area". Of course the entire party stopped to observe the red wine massacre and laugh at yours truly for a few minutes as I was scrubbing frantically at the plaster walls in my party wear. It's lucky no one lost a limb.



No comments: