Monday, October 31, 2011

Dreadful Lovely

Halloween night!

Since we don't expect any children in our neck of the woods, I've removed most of the spooky decorations that littered the house during Friday night's party. Despite being far away from town, we had a good number of people show up - dancing, drinking and arguing by the bonfire ensued. We bought tons of liquor, and I was serving up yummy pumpkin-inspired drinks all night. I danced in high heels until 4 AM, and finally had to corral the last stragglers to bed at 5:30 AM. I think the crowing rooster was what finally convinced them to leave the fire. I suppose one of the by-products of being "rurally located" is that people ended up crashing at the house, so we woke up with about 12 people littering the floors. I was up (as always) after a short three-hour sleep, cooking our fresh eggs and potatoes on the woodstove for everyone to enjoy upon waking up. Super lovely.

It was a beautiful day on Saturday, so while some left for home, others stayed behind to kayak on the bay* or help with our chores. I wish I had some pictures to share of the AMAZING progress on the barn demo, but I've misplaced my dead iPhone (it was used as an mp3 player on Friday night) so no pictures today. We stacked tons of wood too, simultaneously clearing out the workshop that was housing the chopped up tree trunks from last fall.

Then Sunday we had blizzard-like weather. Mostly rain, but some fat wet snowflakes too. Perfect weather for sleeping in, puttering around the house, having a long bath (washing my dreaded hair...leftover from the costume getup on Friday), getting groceries and playing games with friends by the fire. So that's what we did :)

*The kayakers ran into Christine Fellows, who apparently gushed about the area and insisted she wanted to buy a cottage up the street. Hee.

No comments: