Tuesday, October 26, 2010

House Now

Sometimes I wonder how we can live like we are, with the make-shift appliances/holes in the wall/lack of a floor.

This is the view from the corner where the sink used to be, in the old kitchen. The lower left hand of this picture is the under-floor cistern, which we need to cover up before insulating the house. Joys.

But then I remember this place will be GRAND when it is done. And it will be just as I want to be, which is worth tons of sweat and worry. Of course these pictures just show the downstairs, while the upstairs remains construction-free. Living room, spare bedroom, kitchenette, bedroom and bathroom.


This is the house at night. The large hole on the left will eventually be a patio door. Right now it is just a hole :)

Although I have to remind myself it will likely get worse before it gets better (we've had a very mild autumn so far...) since the snow it not far off and our exterior wall downstairs looks like this:



(there is no wall here at the moment)


Yet the important things are present: I have a wood stove to dry my laundry, hot water & a clawfoot tub to have nice long baths in. I have tons of food in the pantry (and otherwise on the property!), and a lovely drive to work in the mornings.


Some of the goodies I gathered from the property: the last of the tomatoes, potatoes, onions and zucchini. Cranberies from the field, sandcherries from the field and about five dozen apples from the orchard which aren't pictured.

This place is big and needs lots of work, but it is mine*.





*not really, it mostly belongs to the bank. I found this informative online mortgage calculator that says just how much faster the mortgage will be paid off if I apply more money every month. I just got a job offer and now know what I'll be applying my raise to - $500 more a month and I'm mortgage free at 9.8 years instead of 23.4 years.


No comments: