Wednesday, September 8, 2010

small talk

Scene: deserted lab room where I am unpacking new equipment.

Construction worker: (enters from hallway -cue shit-eating grin) "I'm the new student."

Me: "You look a little old."

Construction worker: (clutches heart) "oh...ouch"

Me: "They didn't hire me here because I'm kind. They hired me because I'm efficient." (struggle with heavy boxes)

Construction worker: "Here, let me help you with that."

Me: "I'm fine."

Construction worker: (comes over anyway) "I'll help you."

Me: "I'm okay"

Construction worker: (steps on my toes on the way to chivalry) "Sorry." (removes boxes from my hands, searches frantically for some reason to speak, notices visible facial piercing) "Did that hurt to get done?"

Me: "Less then my ear piercings."

Construction worker: (cue shit-eating grin)

Me: (leaves)

But I still mumbled Thank You. Fuck.

No comments: