Friday, May 14, 2010

Dear Cajuns:

your plight breaks my heart.

As if creating an ever-widening, oxygen-free "dead zone" in the Gulf of Mexico as a result of fertilizer run-off down the Mississippi (that was only fixed by annual hurricane season) wasn't bad enough, as if a giant hurricane blowing apart the coast wasn't enough, now we have hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil spilling into the Gulf everyday.

I am saddened because the southern coast of the United States is where many of my Acadian ancestors relocated after being exiled in the mid-1700s. The culture of my past (ex: my grandmother's dialect or maiden name) is eerily familiar to what (once was?) present in Louisiana.

The first trip my mother ever took away from her small town was to New Orleans.

The oil spill is the last straw in a spiraling ecosystem. I suspect any thriving ocean life in the Gulf of Mexico will cease within my lifetime, and with it the natural abundance that sustained an amazing culture.

How sad.

No comments: