Thursday, August 27, 2009

Something Happened...

...when I got a real job. I work the same amount as I did in grad school, but now I feel guilty when I blog at work. And my personal computer (which I use at the apartment to steal wireless internet) has been held hostage by BigBox Store for repair (today ends week 3). Before I was stealing from a big, nebulous funding agency when I goofed at work. Now I'm stealing from my bosses. My feelings are stupid, because I:
1. Still surf as much inane internet content as before
2. Don't log all my hours in an attempt to make up for my non-productiveness.

Bad cycle. Made worse by the weird exception I've made in my head about blogging.

On the other hand, it seems it was only this past Monday where I was able to catch my breath a little. I had traveled to multiple out-of-province conferences and meetings that kept me running, and wore myself out teaching little (and big) kids at two different science outreach camps. I became much more self-reliant at work, and found an increase in requests as a result. Everything culminated in a wedding she-bang for a good friend of mine this past weekend. I was the de-facto wedding-day organizer, stepping in for the bride (as she rushed around town getting hair/nails/pictures done) troubleshooting the flower arrangements, seating, decorations and food preparation. Then I MC'd her reception and made sure nothing went terribly awry during the celebrations. We managed to beat the hurricane headed up the coast by a measly 12 hours- but that was good enough. The 2:30 wedding rehearsal on Friday lead to a fun session of go-carting, lead directly to a massive (and delicious) family BBQ, that lead to staying overnight in her bridal suite (where Queen Elizabeth stayed the year of my birth!), that lead to rushing around in preparation for her afternoon wedding, that then lead into her evening reception meal and finally to an outdoor party where we drank until the wee hours and passed out in a tent. (A soggy tent by the morning).

I woke up on Monday with precious little to do. The wedding was over, the requests from the bosses had been fulfilled in the lab, the house buying ordeal was moving forward and the apartment was clean.

So I rented Season I of Mad Men.

I also borrowed ThisOldHouse magazines from the library. I keep day-dreaming about houses that look like these (which looks just like ours if our front porches were not enclosed):



And of course, thinking how much it will cost. Sigh.

Hubby and I have already narrowed down the style and colour of the new roof, the exact colour of the exterior paint and the types of windows we prefer. So far, the planning has been conflict-free.


Tomorrow morning we do our walk-through for the closing. Our landlord in town was hoping for a months notice, so we will probably stick around the apartment for awhile still. The bulk of our furniture, still in storage, will be moved at a later date. I don't think we will get around to fixing much of the interior until the spring, so we can live in it as it is currently and start building back up our savings account (our bank appraised the hose at 120 K instead of the 130 K we paid - they don't account for the 134 acres of land we also purchased along with the house. As a result, they would only fund 80% of the assessed price and we needed to come up with 8 K extra right quick. It happened but we don't have money for shingles anymore. Boo.)

Off to read about the pros and cons of keeping versus replacing old windows. :)

No comments: