Friday, May 15, 2009

My Last Day in the Lab

It's been pretty lax around work in the last week. I've been spending most days organizing and labeling my lab work (both virtual and physical) to facilitate the transfer of unfinished projects to new personnel. Today we went out to celebrate, and lots of people turned out (nearing twenty I think), which made me feel warm and fuzzy. My supervisor not only picked up the tab for my lunch (with a glass of beer - Sapporo for the first time!) but gave me a wonderfully suitable parting gift : a gift certificate to a bookstore :)

Also this week, a lead to a job in my field at my Alma Matter. No clue on how soon they need people. If urgent I may loose it on account of my trip to Europe. But the mere presence of a job opening is encouraging.

As of this morning, I am officially homeless. The pre-move-in inspection occurred without a hitch but we are still waiting on some fuckery with the bank to get our money. Our "$1600" pay-out penalty somehow morphed into a $6200 payout penalty, which is just fucking ridiculous. Hello GREEDY. Apparently the drastic increase has something to do with falling interest rates, increasing the differential between when we signed and when we paid out. The fact that the interest rates plummeted due to big bank corporate fucknuttery IN THE FIRST PLACE has not escaped my notice. I nearly cried in front of our wonderful mortgage bank person when I found out, she promised she would look into it with her manager. Here's hoping.

Still haven't done shit all in terms of further planning for a three week tour of Prague and Ireland. I'm confident it will work out well, if not a tad expensive. Once in a lifetime experience though, so I'm sure it will be great regardless.

Mini-update complete. Back to burning data to CDs and external hard drives...

No comments: