Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I was reading somehwere lately about the utter lack of grammar or syntax in emails these days. Oh, here it is.

And you know, most of the people I email on a regular basis are not like that. Some of them tend to forgo capital letters, but other than that, even the most basic email still has an opening, a body and a closing.

Surprise and revolt met me as I opened an email from a realtor selling some promising land down in Hometown.

My email:
Hello,

I was wondering if you could tell me more about the lot in XX (the smaller lot). Are there mature trees, has it ever been cleared, or is it cleared right now? Is there running water near or on the property?

Thank you,

Natalie


Her email:

Hi They are putting the sewage thru XX so that is great you would have to have a well dug would be great to sub divide especially now with the sewer and he has more land at the back he would sell let me know if theres anything else you need Thank you for your email Vicki

Uhh, Vicki? How about a period or two.

And you know what the kicker was? No little disclaimer saying "written on the road from my crackberry, please excuse the typos". How utterly unprofessional - I wouldn't be hiring her, that's for sure. Brutal.

No comments: