Friday, April 17, 2009

Defense done, Masters degree finished

You know that feeling when you study for "all the wrong the things" for a test? That's sort of how I feel after finishing my defense this afternoon. Due to some unavoidable travel plans, there were two substitutions on my committee. The people are not in my field (directly), and although my supervisor thinks I did well (and that "defenses never feel like they went well") I myself feel like I bombed on a bunch of inconsequential details. And that there were hardly any far-reaching, broad impact questions I was looking forward to explaining.

My talk was AWESOME, though it is only 17 minutes, so by definition I skipped a bunch of important stuff, thinking that it would get covered in the questions period. WRONG.

So I suppose I'm complaining for nothing, as I passed my defense, my supervisor thinks I did well (given the situation) and the only people who really witnessed my fuck-up on basic (but somewhat tangental) biochemical processes were in that room. And they are my friends. So all in all, I think the champagne will be well worth it tonight.

Too bad I feel a little bit crummy about it though. My research is absolutely interesting and cool. I promise.

No comments: