Tuesday, December 2, 2008

WTF

The queasiness I'm feeling today may have something to do with the hangover, but is also being prodded uncomfortably into action by thoughts of a little note I found on our front door on Sunday evening.

It was a business card from the excavator who supplied some dirt way back during the heyday of construction and it said "Please call me to arrange payment for two loads of fill ($180 each). Thanks".

a) I don't remember owing him money. I generally don't like owing people money, so I try to square up as soon as possible.
b) He was notoriously difficult to contact (we actually didn't hire him again later because of this fact), never answering his cell phone nor returning my messages. It is possible that the fact I did owe him money slipped through the cracks of house construction because I got frustrated with his approach so I said "Eff that, if he wants his money bad enough he will contact me". Because THAT does sound familiar.
c) Still, even if that's the case, why would he wait until now to ask for payment? Why not ages ago? The work was done roughly eight months ago. Who runs a business like that? Does he need Christmas money to buy gifts for his kids?
d) He has legally forfeited all rights to liens on the mortgage, which is kept back by the bank for just this purpose. In case of a dispute (a "he said, she said" argument regarding non-payment, much like the one I see arising from this very situation), my understanding is that the bank is arbiter. But what now? Mortgage is officially closed, all liens are held back for 60 days following the issue of an occupancy permit (again, ages ago). He asks for money he says we owe him, I say "WTF? we don't owe you any money" and then...he vandalizes our house? I pay out becuse I'm a push-over and can't find any paperwork either for or against his claims? If he ran his business properly, with invoices and prompt payment requests it might seem just a tad less sketchy.

I don't know. Grumble grumble.

(That was my stomach)

No comments: