Thursday, September 8, 2011

shirking

Today marks one week back from vacation, which slashed my enthusiasm for regular life.

The timeline goes thusly:

Return midnight on Thursday, jet lag.

Wake up early Friday (jet lag), eat chocolate for breakfast, then nutella on a white bun. Deign to visit my lab for three measly hours from noon until...the bar opens downtown. Proceed to drink beer on the patio from 3-6:30 pm, vainly trying to recapture the Biergarten atmosphere. Fail. Fall asleep on the couch at 8 pm.

Wake up early Saturday (jet lag). Drag my ass to the market, yard sales, visiting friends. Basically do anything that keeps me from going home and actually being productive. Eventually come home to a giant pile of cord wood and an overgrown garden. Go inside on a sunny day, and watch TV/movies until I fall asleep on the couch at 9 pm.

Wake up early Sunday (jet lag). Lounge around doing nothing, watch some more movies. My mother, in a fit of pity, comes over to get my ass into gear. I reluctantly tackle the chicken coop with her help, manage to get it clean. My in-laws and nephew arrive for supper, which I don't lift a finger to help make. They feed me, and help my husband finish the wood shed so that we can start stacking wood. Visit with friends in the evening in an attempt to stay awake past 9 pm. Partial win, but only late at night.

Wake up Labour Day Holiday, drag my ass to the couch, start YET ANOTHER MOVIE. I am so lazy. I get a talking to by my husband. He says something along these lines: "it was okay to do nothing for three days, but honey, it's time to do something. Anything. Get off the couch." So I'm guilted into stacking wood in the sweaty heat, swatting mosquitoes who seem particularly adamant. Go to lunch with friends, and supper with more friends. Itty-bitty Win.

On Tuesday my new coworker started, so at least there was a given task-list: get him keys, a password for the computers, a soft copy of all the protocols, an email address, a tour of campus, etc, etc.

I still want to eat chocolate slathered in nutella for breakfast though.

Addendum: The Movie Review (out of five stars)
Adam: 2.5/5

No comments: