Wednesday, May 12, 2010

nomnom

Look! Yummy food I made myself:

Israeli couscous salad: couscous cooked in chicken stock combined with onions/zucchini/corn/pumpkin seeds roasted with garlic and sprinkled with chili powder. Mild pasta-alternative side dish that went with our basil-overloaded salmon.

Gluten-free almond flour cookies: Almond flour, butter, coconut, fair trade chocolate chips, local dried cranberries, raisins, some other yummy stuff.

Gluten-free strawberry-chocolate torte: Almond flour, crushed chocolate chips, local egg, local strawberry jam, cocoa. (This one went to a bake sale for the community garden. I made five mini-tortes but only four got out the door).


The rhubarb is coming up, so I'll need to prepare some for freezing while it's best. My food dehydrator arrived, and I tried some zucchini chips in it to test it out. Very happy with the results, and looking forward to cranberry season this year. It hurts my heart to walk out in the cranberry field and see how many we left behind last fall.

Last night we had some chicken soup and baguette from some home-made stuff my mom had given me (frozen). I thawed it out on the woodstove, and we heated it up there too. Hubby dragged in some lawnchairs from the fire pit, fetched the left-over bottle of red wine from Mother's Day, and threw a sheet over the sad little metal side table from the barn. Voila! Romantic dinner for two.

No comments: